NOTE: We are super excited to announce that Randi will be at the 2017 Genius Network Annual event. This event always sells out well in advance. So, if you want to be in a room with the highest level people in the world, you can apply here before it’s sold out: http://geniusnetworkevents.com/attend-event/
The Truth About Technology – the dangers and opportunities entrepreneurs face, what every parent can do to ensure their child has a healthy relationship with technology, how to use technology in a way that makes you more productive and focused, and more – with Randi Zuckerberg.
Randi Zuckerberg is an entrepreneur, author, investor and media personality. As an early employee at Facebook she lead major marketing initiatives in the company’s formative years and helped create Facebook Live.
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Randi in this episode:
- The mission behind her Dot Complicated brand in helping untangle our wired lives
- The Truth About Technology: Randi reveals the dangers and opportunities entrepreneurs face
- Thoughts on tech-savvy women and helping women get ahead
- What every parent can do to ensure their children have a healthy relationship with technology
- Joe and Randi discuss burpees, sleep and what technology is doing to our brains
- Randi shares what it was like growing up in the Zuckerberg family
- Being “well-lopsided”: Randi’s five categories of focus and “Pick 3” ritual that will give you an edge.
- Are entrepreneurs made or born? What does it take to be an effective entrepreneur?
- How to use technology in a way that makes you more productive and more focused.
- The flip side of disruptive technology. 7:20
- The tech world is a home of incredible innovation but can still be unwelcoming to women and diverse founders. 8:15
- The founder culture has become increasingly toxic. 8:45
- It’s not healthy to focus exclusively on your startup at the expense of the rest of your life. 9:05
- A lot of people feel overwhelmed by technology, especially parents. 10:00
- It’s important to introduce children to technology early on. 10:15
- “Screen time and tech time are two very different concepts.” -Randi Zuckerberg 12:20
- We are currently spending an average of around 4 years of our life on Facebook. 13:05
- There are a lot of interesting and risky technologies being developed today. 14:10
- “If you don’t manage modern life which most people don’t, it’s going to manage you.” -Joe Polish 16:25
- VR has positive and negative applications. 17:05
- The hardest thing is to shine the light on your own relationship with technology. 17:30
- Forced unplugging can recharge and refresh you. 18:30
- Looking at your phone prior to sleep can really delay your ability to fall asleep. 21:05
- The dopamine hit of receiving a text message can actually override your survival instinct. 21:40
- You’re always either a little entrepreneurial or you’re not. 24:55
- There are no rules as an entrepreneur. 25:40
- “An entrepreneur is an individual that takes resources from a lower yield to a higher yield.” -Jean-Baptiste Say 26:30
- Resourcefulness is the ultimate entrepreneurial expression. 27:10
- You have to have a love for the problem but also be able to communicate and understand data. 28:00
- Entrepreneurs should think more about culture instead of the next sale. 30:20
- Add burpees to your wake up routine. 31:00
- Being well balanced is a myth, aim to be “well-lopsided” instead. 33:10
- Pick three categories and focus on them each day. Friends, Family, Work, Sleep, Fitness 33:50