Why entrepreneurs are heroes, the four principles of conscious capitalism, the two most important components of a great company culture and more with John Mackey.
John Mackey is the co-founder of Whole Foods, an advocate of entrepreneurship, and best-selling author of Conscious Capitalism.
Recorded live from the Genius Network Annual Event.
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from John in this episode:
- John explains his perspective on capitalism and why entrepreneurs are heroes.
- How do you create an award winning culture with over 80,000 employees? John share’s the two most important components for creating a culture that attracts star team members.
- Technology is moving so fast. 20 years ago, companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, and Uber didn’t exist. Listen as John shares his thoughts on the future and what’s to come.
- The Four Principles of Conscious Capitalism: How to use them to build a stronger business, move your organization closer to its highest potential, and create a more positive world for all of us
- The story of a conversation John had with a 25-year-old and the #1 life lesson from it
- The 2 BIGGEST mistakes entrepreneurs make when it comes to hiring team members
- Does love have a place in business? According to Mackey, love is the foundation of organizations that truly reach their full potential. Discover how to infuse love into your company culture.
- Joe and John have a revealing conversation about the role that fear plays in business and the biggest takeaway he wanted to leave everyone with.
- Intellectuals have always been the class enemies of business. 4:00
- The best way to not get hurt is to stay in your heart and not be defensive. 4:45
- There is a “business sucks” narrative. 6:10
- Many people believe that business people only care about money. 6:35
- The purpose of business is not too make money, it’s actually about creating value in society. 7:45
- The only source of wealth and value in society is business. 8:00
- Business doesn’t get credit for the good they create. 9:05
- Rightly viewed, competitors help you. Competition is a mutual quest to make each other better. 10:30
- Humanity has been historically poor for all time prior to capitalism. 11:30
- Capitalism is reducing poverty, illiteracy, and extending life spans. 13:00
- Automation and increasing systemic unemployment is a constant fear but people have always been innovative, the majority of the technologies that define our lives didn’t exist 10 years ago. 14:15
- Love is the meaning of life, yet in most corporations love is in the closet. 18:15
- We use metaphors in business; war, sports, and survival. Metaphors structure our reality. 18:50
- Integrity is not common. 20:40
- Culture is often taken for granted in business, a good culture attracts the right people and repels the wrong people. Culture starts with your core values. 22:20
- People want to bring their whole selves to the workplace. 23:30
- Conscious capitalism starts with a higher purpose. 25:10
- The interconnections between stakeholders, the business, investors, and the customers make everyone better. You have to create value for all of them. 26:00
- Business is not a zero sum game. 28:05
- Business is ethical because it is fundamentally about voluntary exchange. 30:00
- Whole Foods has tried to be a race to the top. 31:15
- The story of why John would trade everything to be 25 again. 33:45
- Life is about the journey itself. 35:20
- Too many entrepreneurs hire people like themselves instead of people that compensate for their weaknesses. They’re also afraid to hire someone smarter than themselves. 36:20
- You can’t motivate people, but you can inspire them. 41:00
- Your business will begin to take on aspects of your personality. Personal growth is about you and your organization 42:00
- In media training you’re taught to decide what you want to say, and then bridge to it. Speaking your mind can be tricky in today’s society. 43:30
- There is no fear in the moment. Fear is about the future. Fear prevents people from being successful. 45:30
- The Whole Foods Diet is simple, don’t eat hyper processed food. Humans evolved as plant eating omnivores and that’s what we flourish with. 47:40
- Avoiding healthy starches is one of the major diet mistakes today. 50:00
- Strive to get rid of the unhealthy addictions and replace them with healthy addictions, you won’t realize you have a food addiction until you try to change what you eat. 52:10
- Personal freedom is about escaping your unhealthy addictions. 55:00