Your Brain On Meditation: How Meditation Can Change Your Mind and Life Forever with Ariel Garten at Joe Polish’s Genius Network
Meditation is a technique that will help you do what’s important and in less time every day. One of the best things anyone can do is experience more stillness, focus and happiness.
Here is a look at your brain on meditation.
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Ariel Garten in this episode:
- How and why MUSE is used by hundreds of thousands of people every day around the world
- What you can do to meditate and maximize the benefits out of your meditation sessions
- Your Perfect Way of Being: A simple technique for helping you be your best every day
- How to eliminate procrastination, enhance your learning and memory, and think more clearly
- One of the best things you can do to experience more stillness, focus and happiness
- The power of MUSE 2: Ariel talks about Muse 2 and its benefits publicly for the first time
- Imagine your perfect way of being in the world. What does that look like?
- Meditation is the technique that will help you do what’s important and in less time every day.
- Most people think meditation is letting your mind go blank, but that’s incorrect. Meditation is a practice or a training that leads to healthy mind states.
- The most basic version is paying attention to your breath, a simple technique of focusing on a neutral object, and can have a profound impact.
- Most people feel like thoughts just come through their mind, but doing this exercise allows you to get off the thought train.
- Once that happens and you recognize you have control of what’s in your mind, you can make decisions about what’s in it and not be defined by it.
- You realize that you are not your thoughts.
- The negative stories you tell yourself can be consciously replaced by other thoughts you choose.
- The same thing can happen with your emotions. Meditation allows you to get off the emotional rollercoaster. You can simply experience negative emotions as a sensation and not give it the attention to control your life.
- You may not realize it, but every time your mind wanders off task, you are actually micro-procrastinating. Meditating regularly will make your mind incredibly efficient.
- Meditation makes real change in your brain.
- As you age, your prefrontal cortex thins. But if you maintain a regular meditation practice, you can maintain a healthy thickness of the prefrontal cortex. It also downregulates your amygdala and helps you manage your fight or flight response.
- Meditation increases the volume of your hippocampus which improves your capacity for learning and memory.
- It also impacts your temporal parietal junction, which affects your ability for compassion and empathy.
- 8 weeks of meditation can actually increase the density of your grey matter.
- It turns out meditation is hard to do, there is no one in your mind that can tell you what to do with it, which is where Muse came in.
- Muse tracks your mind, heart, breath, and body position so that you can enhance and deepen your meditation practice. It gives you real-time feedback and data that allows you to track your performance so you can improve over time.
- Meditation is one of the best things you can do in your life, but in order to receive the benefits, you have to do it every single day. You go to the gym for your body, meditation is like the gym for your mind.
- Meditation allows you to respond instead of react.
- You owe it to your mind and your body to teach it how to shift its responses so that you can live more productively, more compassionately, more happily, and so that you can make a choice about how you want to show up in the world every day.