What goes on in the mind of a narcissist? Dr. Ramani Durvasula, a renowned clinical Psychologist, media expert, and Author shares what you need to know about narcissism.
Dr. Ramani Durvasula knows narcissism. From how to identify it in yourself or others, to setting boundaries, practicing radical acceptance, and keeping realistic expectations, she knows what it takes to keep yourself protected and actively recover from the damage narcissism can cause.
In this episode, Dr. Durvasula shares why she considers narcissism the “second-hand smoke of mental illness” and teaches how to stay sane and grounded when you communicate with a narcissist – whether they be your colleague, partner, family member, or friend.
If you’d like to join world-renowned Entrepreneurs at the next Genius Network Event or want to learn more about Genius Network, go to www.GeniusNetwork.com.
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Dr. Ramani in this episode:
- Why she focused her research on Narcissism versus other areas of mental health.
- The differences between Narcissism (there are 5 types), Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), Psychopathy, and Sociopathy.
- Why personal development “gurus” with the biggest followings could be the most dangerous and damaging.
- How to identify if you or someone you know is a narcissist (and why a narcissist will likely never have true intimacy).
- Exactly what to do if you’re in a relationship with a narcissist such as a significant other, family member, colleague, etc.
- The importance of boundaries, ‘radical acceptance’ and ‘realistic expectations’ when it comes to narcissists.
- Why Dr. Ramani calls Narcissism “The Second Hand Smoke of Mental Illness” (and what to do to avoid becoming “sick”).
- Narcissistic Supply: What you need to understand about narcissists to save yourself headaches and heartaches.
- The three paths children tend to go down when they are raised by a narcissistic parent or parents.
- The connection between Narcissism, Corrective Emotional Experiences, and Sensory Integration.
- How to turn knowledge into healthy boundaries so you stay sane in the throes of a narcissist.
- Why severing ties with a narcissist (even if they are your parent) could potentially save your life.
- The link between narcissism and addiction (What Dr. Ramani discovered working with rehab centers).
- How consumerism, materialism, and social media have bred more incivility in place of empathy.
- The 2 parts to forgiveness almost everyone overlooks (PLUS: Why a narcissist views forgiveness as PERMISSION).
- Dr. Ramani shares her thoughts on the Five-Factor Model and the HEXACO Personality Inventory.
- The difference between pure Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and Narcissistic BPD.
- Flying Monkeys: The ONE THING you should do when a narcissist turns other people against you.
- 3 simple steps anyone can take to positively influence young people affected by narcissism.