Boost Your Brain Power, Learn Faster, and More with Jim Kwik.
In this Episode, you’ll discover how to boost your brain power, learn faster and more with Jim Kwik.
Jim Kwik is the founder of Kwik Learning and a widely recognized world expert in speed-reading, memory improvement, brain performance, and accelerated learning.
- Go check out Jim’s show and podcast “Kwik Brain” at: jimkwik.com/itunes
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Jim in this episode:
- The 2 costliest words in business (and how faster learning can help you earn more money)
- Too much to read? Too much to do? Overwhelmed? Not enough time? Jim shares why we feel this way and what to do about it
- A.S.T: 4 keys to learning any subject or skill faster
- What genius learners do different than everybody else
- Think you can’t do something? Use this 3-letter word to obliterate almost any limitation
- Your Environment and Your Brain: How your surroundings positively (or negatively) affect your results
- “If knowledge is power, than __________ is your superpower”: How to tap into your greatest abilities
- Two things you need to grow a better brain even as you grow older – and – the two reasons why people cognitively decline
- The Memory Palace: A 2,500-year-old technique for improving your memory (PLUS: The M.O.M. System for confidently remembering people’s names)
- 10 Keys for a “Kwik” Brain: Boost your brain power, upgrade your memory and unlock your inner superhero
- Entrepreneurs often waste a lot of time processing information that can be done much faster. We’re taught that the brain’s capabilities are fixed which is just not true.
- “Learning is remembering, there is no learning without remembering.” 02:30
- The two most costly words in business are “I forgot”. 02:50
- The amount of information created every 48 hours is the equivalent of the all the information produced throughout human history up until 2003. Schools and education are one of the few areas that haven’t changed.
- Jim relates a story of his early life about the challenges he faced in school and a mentor he encountered when he was on the verge of quitting. 07:00
- “Don’t let school get in the way of your education.” 09:00
- After suffering a second head injury, Jim turned his perspective around and focused his efforts on learning how to learn. This led to better focus and better grades in school. 10:30
- “If your knowledge is power, learning is your superpower.” 12:40
- There are four elements to learning faster:
- Forget what you think you already know. Be open and willing to learn in the first place. Stop multitasking. Forget about your assumed limitations. Your self talk is the program your brain will run, your belief about being unable to do something will actually prevent you from doing it.
- Active learning, not passive. The brain learns best through creation, not consumption. Ask questions, take notes, think about the subject from more than one angle.
- The importance of State: all learning is state dependant. Information combined with emotion creates long term memory. Boredom leads to zero meaningful learning. You control your state, get into a state that makes learning easier.
- Teach what you know, one of the best ways to learn something is to teach someone else.
- Your brain is a “use it or lose it” organ, you must continually challenge your cognitive abilities or they will begin to decline. 21:20
- One third of our memory ability is genetically determined, that means two thirds of your ability is under your control. 23:45
- HEART goals: Healthy, Enduring, Alluring, Relevant, and Truth. 30:50
- Discipline leads to freedom. 31:20
- With great power comes great responsibility, but the reverse is also true. 33:10
- “Sell your cleverness for bewilderment.” 34:25
- To become an expert in a subject, study for an hour a day for a year. In three years, you will be world class. 38:30
- Technology is changing rapidly, you have to stay adaptable.
- Addiction is directly impacted by environment.
- There are five different levels that determine whether or not you can change your behavior: your identity and what you think you are, your beliefs about what you can do, the skill set and habits to do it, the behavior itself, and your environment. Your environment may not promote the change you want to see. 49:45
- There are ten elements to unlock your Kwik brain: Diet, Killing Negative Thoughts, Exercise, Brain Nutrients, Positive Peer Group, Clean Environment, Sleep, Brain Protection, New Learnings, Stress Management 52:45
- Genius’s focus on the fundamentals, newbies don’t. 54:10
- An explanation of the memory palace technique that allows you to recall the ten keys to your Kwik brain 1:02:10
- You have to protect your attention. Feeling overwhelmed is an environmental issue 1:14:45
- There are two tools for dealing with overwhelm:
- Your motivation, why do you want to remember this particular thing? Reasons reap results.
- Observation, you may not be forgetting, you’re probably not paying attention in the first place. Listen when someone else is talking instead waiting for your turn to talk. Nothing sells like pure interest.
- People who are successful are there because they make personal growth a priority. 1:23:40
- Genius’s follow a recipe. Anyone who follows the recipe can achieve similar results. One of the most important levers you can move is your brain and your ability to learn and become better. 1:26:00