Growing pains! Pain in the neck! Feeling no pain! Pain in the ass! Yes, we often use the word “Pain” for impact. Yet one of the most profitable ways you can use pain, is not in an expression, but in your SELLING. If you don’t sell actual products or services, you do sell yourself and you do sell your ideas! But do you sell using PAIN? You will after this next Ten Minute Talk®. Pain is the strongest driver of change. And yet, most ordinary sales people keep talking about Features and Benefits, and selling the GAIN, when they should be selling to the PAIN!
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Jody in this episode:
- Pain Is Good: How To Use The Strongest Driver of Change To Make More Sales
- Why selling features and benefits is often a mistake and what to do instead
- Jody shares his definition of pain and the big four emotional motivators
- How to use the power of pain to more effectively sell your ideas, products and services
- Three steps for becoming more influential and getting almost anyone to take action
- One of the most profitable ways you can use pain to make more money AND make people’s lives better
- The four emotional motivators: Pain in the present, fear of pain in the future, pleasure/gain, and curiosity.
- Sales people spend too much time in curiosity mode.
- The dreaded “T.I.O.” and avoiding it.
- Cost, loss, and pain are the most effective motivators for change.
- The gains that wealth advisors sell, why they aren’t motivating, and why pain would sell better.
- Personal and professional examples of pains and gains.
- Have a discovery-based mindset so your prospects discover their pains for themselves.
- How to get people leaning forward – not back.
- Develop pain-based discovery questions.
- The pain funnel: Start broad and narrowing it down to specific pain points.
- 02:36 – 03:11 – The strongest emotional motivators – and the weakest.
- 08:02 – 08:30 – On the discovery-based mindset.
- 09:25 – 10:07 – The most important reason to focus on pain.